What do you do when you are building a home and there is a ton of empty space above the garage? Well you turn it into a walk in closet, thats what you do!
My husband and I (and by that I mean my husband) built our house. When we chose our floor plan, we decided to move a few minor things around. We were left with, like most houses, a lot of empty space right above the garage.
Sure we could have moved things around a little more and made another room in the house, but what fun is that???? Why not make it an amazing walk in closet?
So began the journey of finding a reputable company that is reasonably priced to install. Not happening. Sooooo….thank goodness my husband, his bro and his dad are so handy! After some hard work and some painting, we got our awesome closet.
We didn’t paint the walls (at that point, we wanted to just move in!). There are still a lot of things I want to do to organize, like get rid of my jewelry armoire (circa 1995) and do some cool things I found on Pinterest! One of these days!!!
Enjoy my ghetto pics.
Immediately on the left when you walk in. I love seeing all of my shoes on display!!
The other side!
My husband’s corner. I mean I guess I had to let him have some space.
Now I am not one to organize by color or anything like that, but here are a few tips to organizing (they aren’t mysteries):
1. Keep similar items together (I hang all of my cardigans together for example)
2. Use the right hangers: Get pant hangers for pants, etc.
3. Don’t skimp on hangers. You can get decent plastic hangers or other types of hangers anywhere for a relatively inexpensive price. You don’t want your hangers to jack up your clothes and leave things like hanger nipples on the shoulders.
4. Organize by season (not just by type of clothes).
5. Go through your closet every few months. I try to go by this- If I haven’t worn it in a year, get rid of it.
Any other cool organizational tips…share them!