If there is one that I have picked up on over my last (almost) 6 years as a Mommy, it is what I consider wardrobe essentials. Yes, I have a big closet. Yes I have a ton of clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. But, there are staples in my closet that I always seem to return to. A day I don’t feel like putting any thought into my look? Wardrobe staples to the rescue! Don’t know what to wear? Break out the staples! Mixing and matching with accessories can help change the whole vibe.
I have found that these essentials are truly versatile pieces that can be worn for running errands, a casual, spur of the moment date night (change the accessories or shoes!) or a play date!
1. The classic blazer. I can’t tell you how many blazers I have in my closet. Despite all of the colors and prints, I find that I get the most use out of my basic black blazer. Besides wearing with jeans and a tee, blazers are great to toss over dresses as well!
2. Basic tee’s are another Mommy wardrobe essential. I would be lying if I said I didn’t wear my tee’s to work out in, lounge in, sleep in, and to go out and about. To me, one of the most classic and timeless looks is a plain tee and a blazer. It’s something that will never go out of style.
3. Skinny jeans/boyfriend jeans are next on my essentials list. You really can’t go wrong with jeans. Stick with a pair of skinny jeans or legging jeans, and a pair of boyfriend jeans and you’ve got it made. Both styles can be dressed up and dressed down. They can be worn with heels for more of a fierce look, flats for a casual but dressy look, or even sneakers.
4. Basic (but cute) flats. I remember years and years ago I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of flats. Me? Not wearing some form of heel, whether it be pumps or wedges? Never! Now, my feet crave flats most days! I am not saying don’t own a pair of heels…are you kidding me?!?! But really, have cute flats in basic colors is great for any on-the-go Mommy.
5. The last few items you can sort of lump together into one: scarves to get more mileage out of your tee’s and blazers, a few statement necklaces, to also change up the look of your wardrobe, and a good pair of leggings!
I am sure most of you Mommy’s out there have most of this in your closet already. If not, you don’t have to spend a ton of money to build these essentials in your closet!
I will leave you all with my husband’s Mommy Wardrobe Essentials. When I asked him what he thinks every Mommy should have, he said (this is verbatim)
1. Low cut socks because you don’t want your feet to stink, but you don’t want your socks to be a apart of your outfit. Everybody loves low cut socks.
2. A set (just one apparently) of comfy clothes, because ‘Lets face it gals, you don’t always want to look glamorous all the time. You want to let everything breath every once in a while.’
3. Thongs (he doesn’t mean flip flops)
Have a great weekend, everyone! I will going on a wonderful date with my husband to celebrate my birthday (I have no clue what he has planned!)! I remember when I was younger thinking how OLD thirty two seemed…..and here I am. 32! Yikes!